4.19.2011

a touch of spring...

It's officially spring, and the Ranch is finally starting to show it! 

I took the Monday off after our lovely trip to recuperate, clean up, grocery shop and do laundry...but around 2:00, my agenda was complete and I treated myself to a small shopping trip for some pretties for the house.  It needed a spring touch.


I love a good wreath.  I found this one at TJ's...one of my favorite places!  Chams informed me that the lighter purple stuff is rice.  I was tickled, especially since we just got back from Charleston where rice was big!  I think the dried flowers are really pretty and earthy, and perfect for welcoming guests!

On the search to find flowers for around the house, I ran into Pier 1 and scored these for the back porch...


I had gotten the container at a Willow House party my sweet LB had at her house, and loved it...but it needed some filler.  Chams loves forsythia and I love the pop of yellow.

I also got these great hydrangeas...


Again, loved the green and yellow...very bright and cheery for a spring table!

I also had time to make a nice and hearty dinner.  Oh the things you can do with a free day!

I wanted to use some of the ingredients I already had on hand, so I did a little research in our library of cookbooks.  Wouldn't you know, Paula came through...big!

Recipe via Paula Deen's Lady & Son's Cookbook:

Chicken in Wine Sauce

Ingredients:
4 large skinless boneless chicken breasts
6 ounces Swiss cheese slices
1, 10 oz can condensed cream of chicken soup
1/4 cup white wine (chicken stock would work well too)
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 cup herb-flavored stuffing mix, crushed
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place chicken in shallow buttered casserole.  Layer cheese on top.


Mix soup, wine, salt and pepper; pour over cheese.


Sprinkle stuffing mix on top and drizzle with melted butter.  Bake for 45-60 minutes.



Yum...it's no secret that Paula knows what she's doing.  I will say though that you don't need much, if any extra salt.  The cheese and soup are already salty enough.  We served this over some of our Carolina rice, and it was amazing...and hearty!

It was a much needed, great and productive day, to say the least.  Everyone needs a day off after a vacation...right? 

1 comment:

  1. I make the lady and sons dish all the time. It's a good standby. :)

    ReplyDelete