4.14.2011

Charleston: day two...

Nothing starts a morning like a venti, nonfat, caramel macchiato, stirred, no whip from Starbucks...especially when it's just 5 floors down.  Chams and I started our day there on day two.  I had their oatmeal, which sidenote, is not as good as McDonald's in my opinion, but good nonetheless. 

Friday was planned to be our day of seeing the market and walking the King and Meeting Street shops.

We started out at the Market...


It was busy with tons of things to see, and lots of people looking...including us.  Vendors had everything from jewelry to amazing photography. 

From there, we went to the Maverick Cooking Store on East Bay.  It was my absolute favorite store of the trip (no surprise there).  It gets 5 stars in my book. 


All of our finds came from there, except for the yummy teas we got just down the street at the Tea and Spice Exchange.


Charleston Junior League Cookbook (we saw in the market, but purchased at Maverick), Carolina Gold Rice (that cooks up white, interestingly enough), picked green beans (for Chams), and a lovely egg plate (just in time for Easter!). 

Maverick should've been saved for the end of the day, though.  We really didn't think through having to lug a heavy bag around while walking the streets and sites, but our treasures were worth it.

The streets around the market are filled with great art galleries, boutiques and lots of pretties.  Chams and I strolled the streets, looking at houses, private gardens, and beautiful gates. 

This door-knocker is a goat.  I love it.



We also stumbled upon and toured a beautiful church that was built in 1845. 



Matthew and Sarah had told us about the old Slave Mart, and we had the extra time, so why not...


This was a great building, but you better like to read when you go into this place.  It's 2 stories of reading...literally.  I scanned it over and pulled out some tidbits, but couldn't get into reading a book on partitions.  Chams said it was worth the $7 to go...I might've said it was worth $5.

All this before lunch.  We planned to eat at Poogan's Porch on Saturday, but were a little puzzled at its whereabouts...so on our walking journey, we went to find it while we were in the area.  Well, right next door was Husk (wouldn't you know it?). 


 Husk is a great restaurant who's chef is an up and coming celebrity in the restaurant world....and they were open for lunch...who knew?


Great place.  I had the lamb barbecue sammie...fabulous.  It had a vinegar slaw that reminded me of North Alabama's Que.  A little taste of home in Charleston.  Chams had a catfish BLT, equally delicious according to him. 

The atmosphere was great...clean and contemporary finishes with a few rustic touches in a great old house.  It was such a treat to run upon this place. 

So, I know you're thinking:  will day two ever end??  I mean this is just lunch time...but don't fret.  Our afternoon was spent walking up the King Street shops directly back to Frances where a long, long afternoon nap awaited.  Chams and I needed it.  A fun night awaited.

Some of Chams' college friends, Tony and Erin, live in Charleston and we were thrilled to get to spend some time with them.  We planned dinner together at Amen Street, a restaurant we had read about in Southern Living, and we couldn't wait to try it out.  They were sweet enough to let us pick...



It was everything Southern Living said, and more!  We had shrimp corndogs for an appetizer that were both fun and delicious!  A highlight of dinner!

Afterwards, Tony, Erin and Hannah (another college friend) took us to the rooftop at the Vendue Inn to scope out the nightly view of the city.  It was just beautiful.



To cap the night off right, Chams and I headed back to Kaminsky's.  I know, really??  I told you I loved that place.  This time there was a 45 minute wait, so we got dessert to-go and ate it on a bench outside.  Perfection!

No comments:

Post a Comment