This past weekend, Chams and I went to Outback. Not the steak restaurant, nor the one where you'd find kangaroos...but Outback, the retreat.
Outback America is a weekend retreat that happens every Spring and Fall and is affiliated with JH Ranch. It is for parents and their children, and married couples. Outback focuses on building and strengthening your relationship with each other, and with God.
Chams has helped cook at the retreat in years past and while we were dating/engaged, I would make the Saturday trip south to Sylacauga to enjoy some of the cooking and big-tent events (worship, teaching) with him. We decided early on that it would be great to go through as a married couple...so this past weekend, we did just that.
Outback is held at several locations throughout the year, and we had the pleasure of being at Pursell Farms (Farm Links Golf Course) for the weekend. It is absolutely breathtaking. From the drive in, you see Longhorns and beautiful pastures. This was the view from the Big-Top:
I must preface the next section with the fact that I have NEVER slept in a tent, ever. Don't let the cow-girl boots fool you...I'm not an outdoorsy kinda girl. Put me up in a cabin or something but no tents, please!! The one time I was supposed to sleep in a tent, I weaseled my way into the nearby house and slept on an air mattress.
So...now that's been said, take a look at the sleeping arrangements:
Yep...a nice, spacious TENT! You can't imagine my excitement (sarcastic, if you didn't catch on). I knew this going into the weekend, but something about seeing it in person really puts things in perspective. Thanks to the nice Outback people we did have 2 foam mattresses...someone was using their noggin! Without them, Chams and I would've found our way to the nearest motel!
Cozy, right? I do have to say, for the record, that it wasn't that bad. After an exhausting day it was somewhat welcoming, especially with the chilly, 50 degree weather.
One of the best parts of the weekend was being led in worship by Ronnie Freeman. He is very blessed with a great singing voice and some beautiful piano skills. I'm always amazed at the people who can sing and play at the same time (reminds me of the pat your head and rub your belly talent). Chams and I had heard Ronnie before, and even went to a wonderful Christmas concert last year that he lead, so we were both really excited about him leading us in worship for the weekend.
Another great part was enjoying the Lodge and learning some great marriage principles from Keith and Theresa Pugh. Talk about a wonderful couple. After years and years of marriage, they are still crazy about each other and serving God together. Very inspiring.
To sum it up, we had a wonderful weekend. We met some great new friends, ate way too much and learned some very valuable things about marriage, raising children (for future use), and having a close relationship with God. We're not fully recovered from the full weekend, but will always remember what we learned and definitely put it to good use!
Outback Sunset

No comments:
Post a Comment