Sometimes I wonder where the weekend really went, and this past weekend was one of those weekends. I woke up this morning thinking, "I was busy this whole weekend, and have nothing to prove it"!!
On Friday night, John David and I had a wonderful date night out on the town. We finally got to try Flip Burger and it was everything we had anticipated and more. For me, a burger is pretty much the best thing ever, and the Farmer (the name of the burger I had) did not let me down. It was no Chez Fon Fon burger, but delicious nonetheless. The fried okra and onion rings weren't too shabby either!
Afterwards, we went to a movie, and I discovered what a fuddy-duddy I have become. The movie didn't start until 9:15, and about the time the previews were over I was ready for bed. The movie might've been better if I wasn't so tired and fidgety.
Saturday, we went to a birthday party for little Miss. Taylor Kate, our good friends Russell and Lauren's little girl. I don't even know what I did before the party...really. We had a wonderful time celebrating her 1st birthday, and came back home to get some things accomplished.
We planned on watching the game (Roll Tide!) with friends, and offered to make the sides. I made Oriental Broccoli Slaw and Roasted Potato Salad. Both were great and super easy! Here are the recipes:
Oriental Broccoli Slaw:
2 bags (12 oz) broccoli cole slaw
2 packages Ramen Noodle Soup (Oriental or Chicken preferred)
1/2 stick butter
1/4 c sunflower seeds
1/4 c slivered almonds
chopped green onions, for garnish
Dressing:
3/4 c canola oil
1/4 c sugar
1/4 c apple cider vinegar
1 Ram Noodle seasoning packet
Put the Ramen Noodles in a bag and crush them while melting butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the crushed noodles and almonds to the skillet and saute until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Whisk all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Place the shredded broccoli slaw into a bowl and toss with the noodles, almonds and sunflower seeds. Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat. Garnish with green onions. Note: it's best not to add the dressing until time to serve. The noodles can get soggy if prepared too far in advance.
Roasted Potato Salad:
3 lbs. red potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
3 T olive oil
1 c cheddar cheese
1/2 c chopped green onions
1 c sour cream
1/2 c mayonnaise
2 T white wine vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
Mix cubed potatoes, salt, pepper and olive oil in a large bowl until coated well. Place on a large cookie sheet and bake at 375 until tender. Mix remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Fold in roasted potatoes and refrigerate. *A good addition to this would be bacon bits*
Sunday was the kinda day it should be, a day of rest. We enjoyed church and an afternoon at home doing pretty much nothing. Oreos and milk finished the busy weekend off, and hello Monday!...you came too soon!!
Happy Monday, everyone!


No comments:
Post a Comment