Chams and I are always looking for a new option to grace our plates for dinner. We always get stuck on the same ole, same ole. This past week on our weekly grocery run, Chams spotted Brussels sprouts. Now, I'll try just about anything at least once, but when it comes to cooking, I only do well with the things I'm familiar with. I don't know that I have ever had sprouts, and I definitely haven't been anxious to try them, but decided to give them a fair chance...for Chams.
I researched online for some recipes, and found this one. I had high hopes that it would be absolutely amazing and I could share in the new found love with you, but I was wrong. They're a pretty little veggie, but not packed with a ton of flava flav. I was super generous on the garlic and salt, but they were still a hair bland. This is the recipe, if you're interest has peeked.
Garlic Brussels Sprouts:
1 1/2 pounds fresh Brussels sprouts
4 garlic cloves, chopped
3 teaspoons butter, divided
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
Cut an X in the core end of each Brussels sprout; set aside. In a large saucepan, saute garlic in 1 teaspoon butter and oil for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
Add sprouts; toss to coat. Add the broth, salt and pepper; cover and cook for 12-14 minutes or until sprouts are tender. Drain; add the remaining butter and toss until melted.
This was our colorful plate of dinner. The best part for me were the roasted sweet potatoes. So sweet and delicious. Almost like eating dessert with dinner. The recipe was adapted from a great cooking blog, too!
Roasted Sweet Potatoes:
3 Sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite size cubes
2 tsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp of brown sugar
1 tsp of ground cinnamon
Sea salt, to taste
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a small baking dish with cooking spray. Peel and dice the sweet potatoes into 1 inch cubes. In a medium sized bowl, melt butter in the microwave. Mix in olive oil, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Add potatoes and toss to coat. Place in baking dish and bake in the oven for 40 minutes, stirring once during roasting. Enjoy!!
If you have any Brussels sprout recipe suggestions, send my way. Otherwise, they're falling off of the rotating sides list.
Happy Thursday!!!

I have recently cooked fresh brussel sprouts as well. I roasted them in the oven though, and they are delish! I am going to have to try your recipe too! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteI will certainly be trying the roasted sweet potatoes...Tony and I eat sweet potatoes every week...love them!!! I hope all is well with you and JD!
ReplyDelete