Peaches are officially in...and that can only mean one thing: it's time to head to the market...again.
This past weekend, we braved the crowd and took Puddin on her second trip to the Pepper Place Market to get the freshest of the fresh...from Chilton County, of course.
Chams usually makes Pud ride in the way back, but I let her ride in the back seat with the windows down and the wind in her ears. She rode in the backseat for this trip, and I'm pretty sure she knew exactly where she was going.
We made a round or two, scoping out the scene and picking the right stand to purchase from. Not just any peach would do.
Puddin was spent, but was much better this time around at the market. I think with a little time, she'll be a regular market shopper.
With peaches in tow, we headed back to the Ranch for some cookin. I was craving a cobbler with yummy vanilla ice cream on top. As you might remember, I tried a different cobbler recipe last year but wanted to go back to the one I knew growing up, and knew exactly who to get the recipe from.
Bon said it was called "Lazy Day Cobbler" in my Gandy's cookbook, so that's exactly what we'll call it.
"Gandy's Lazy Day Cobbler"
1 stick butter
3 cups sliced peaches
1 cup self rising flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water or milk (my Gandy used water, so I did too)
pinch of cinnamon (optional)
Note: If using unsweetened peaches, add 1/2 cup sugar and allow to sit in refrigerator for 20-30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in the bottom of a square baking dish in the oven. Combine flour, sugar and water/milk.
Pour into butter. Do not stir. Spoon sweetened peaches over batter. Do not stir. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until browned.
Serve with vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!!
So delicious...and exactly the cobbler I remembered from when I was little. Only downfall...it doesn't make more. Note to self, double the recipe next time! Guess that means we'll be headed back to the market again soon for more peaches!!


That looks delish! I will have to try your Gandy's recipe!!!
ReplyDelete