11.02.2010

blog slacking...

I feel like such a blog slacker.  It's been over a week, and I feel just awful.  I can't even begin to tell you what we've been doing.  I just don't know. Things have started to slow down, thankfully, and we've enjoyed weekends at home, catching up around the house and watching some great football!

Two weekends ago, John David killed his first doe of the season.  I know...sad isn't it? 


She's a pretty one, too!  I have to say, though, that I'm very thankful for a freezer full of meat.  It's really nice not to have to buy ground beef at the grocery store for at least a couple of months.

This past weekend, we stayed close to home.  I felt it was the right time and perfect weather for a big pot of chicken stew, so I whipped up some on Saturday.  I grew up eating chicken stew all the time, and didn't realize that it's not a standard stew fare until I married John David.  I just love it...such great comfort food!



Bon's Chicken Stew (my mom's recipe with a JD addition)

Ingredients:
3-4 chicken breasts
2 large potatoes, diced into bite size pieces
1 small onion, diced
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 large can petite diced tomatoes, drained slightly
1/2 small block velveeta, cubed (JD's addition)
2 bay leaves
salt & pepper

In a large pot, cover chicken with 2-3 inches of water and season generously with salt and pepper.  Simmer for 45-60 minutes or until cooked thoroughly, skimming any foam/grease off the surface.  Take chicken out of the pot and set aside to cool.  Bring liquid back to a boil and add the potatoes and onions.  Cook until soft.  Reduce head and add corn, tomatoes and bay leaves to potatoes and onions.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Shred chicken and add to pot.  Simmer for 15 minutes.  Add velveeta, stirring to incorporate well.  Enjoy!

The cornbread we had with it is a Mrs. Rachel specialty!  I'll post it soon!! 

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend.  Happy Tuesday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment