11.23.2010

happenings in and around the ranch...

There are several happenings to share, so this is sure to be filled with randomness...get ready!

I've been meaning to share this recipe for some time now, and could never remember to get the recipe itself... I finally remembered this morning just before leaving the ranch!!!  John David and I cooked it two weeks ago when the weather was chilly, and it hit the spot! 

Red Beans and Rice with Sausage

1 pound dry light red kidney beans
Water to cover the beans
2 cups finely chopped onion
2 cups finely chopped celery
2 cups finely chopped green bell pepper
2 T bouillon flavoring (I used beef bullion paste)
5 bay leaves
2 tsp dried thyme leaves
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
1 tsp ground red pepper
1 tsp black pepper
1 T Tabasco sauce
6 cups water
1 pound andouille smoked sausage, or any other smoked pork sausage, cut diagonally into 1/4 inch pieces
Cooked rice

Cover the beans with water, 2 inches above beans.  Let stand overnight.  Drain just before using.

In a large soup pot/dutch oven, cook celery, onions and bell peppers in olive oil until softened slightly.  Add seasonings and bouillon.  Stir well.  Add beans, bay leaves and 4 cups of water to the mixture.  Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add remaining 2 cups of water and simmer 30 more minutes.  Stir in sausage and continue simmering until the beans start breaking up, about 35 minutes, scraping the bottom often.  (the mixture will thicken in the last 35 minutes, so be patient!!)


To serve, mound rice in the middle of plate and spoon red beans and sausage over.  Enjoy!!!


This Saturday, it's Christmas decor time around the ranch.  We have several items already.  I had an artificial tree from my college years, and our sweet small group last year gave us a Christmas engagement party, so we're set with ornaments and knick-knacks.  Among the items we were lacking...a festive Christmas wreath for the front door, and a burlap tree skirt.  This past Saturday, in preparation for the upcoming work-day, I got busy Christmas crafting.

First, I made the wreath.  I had big intentions for something super fancy, but after a trip to the craft store I was faced with reality...stick with something you're comfortable with and work from there.



This is the final product, soon to adore the front door of the ranch:
 

It's not super fancy, but will do the trick and give the front door some Christmas flare.

For the tree skirt, I went to the fabric store for burlap.  I had planned to use the Wild Game Cookoff tablecloth to place around the base of the tree, but after the cookoff and tailgating, it had seen better days.  The burlap was on sale for $2.99 a yard...what a steal!  I took it home and put a hem in the rough edges so they wouldn't ravel.  Miss. Dial did a fantastic job!  The finished product will be showcased after the Christmas tree is installed and decorated!

While cleaning up the remnants of the burlap project, I decided to clean out Miss. Dial's cabinet.  In her drawers, I found pretty embroidered doilies that had been sewn by my great aunt.  What treasures.  I got very sentimental and missed my grandmothers.  They'd be so thrilled to hear about my sewing projects.  I especially miss my Gandy during those times.  She was such a great home-maker...a wonderful cook and seamstress.  I share her love of the home and wish she was still around to enjoy my little, simple projects.

And to save the best for last...Charlotte decided to come last Wednesday, and is the sweetest little thing!  Tarayn and I dropped by, baby bites in tow, after work to visit the new parents and their precious addition!  It doesn't get much cuter than this:



A BIG congrats to Adrienne and Rick!  We are so excited about your family of three, and know Charlotte is going to be such a blessing to you both!

And since this is probably my last post before Thanksgiving, I hope everyone has a very Happy Thanksgiving!!  May it be a wonderful time with family and friends, and a time of thanks for all the many blessings we have been given!!

No comments:

Post a Comment