I don’t think anyone can fully prepare a woman to be a wife. Growing up, I dreamed of marrying a wonderful man, having a beautiful wedding and living happily ever after. While all my dreams came true and many prayers were answered, I didn’t really comprehend what happened in the midst of it all…what being a wife truly meant.
There is a huge responsibility placed on us wives (the majority of which is placed there by us, and not our husbands) in several areas, especially that of having a wonderful, peaceful home. We set the tone of our house…how it’s run and its environment. The saying “if mom isn’t happy, no one’s happy” is very true. I have come to realize that if I’ve had a tough day and it gets to me, it affects the mood of our house. And, for those of you who are similar to me, it takes me a while to get over things. I have to have breathing room to really search my thoughts and feelings (which a lot of times are admittedly uncalled for or over the top).
Also, wives carry the burden of making a house a home. For me, that means the house is tidy, laundry is caught up and dinner is served at a decent time. All that, plus making my sweet husband happy and having time for just us. It’s not easy, especially for us wives who have a full time job in a workplace and come home to a full time job as a wife.
This week after feeling overwhelmed, I have come to the conclusion that it is vital that we girls take some time for us. It can be as simple as reading a book while the house is quiet, or enjoying a pedicure (which is what I’m doing today!). Along with that, we have to remind ourselves what an honor it is to be a wife, and to be in charge of a household…all the while glorifying God in serving our husbands and family. These few verses bring me so much encouragement.
Prov. 18:22 He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the Lord.
Isn’t it great that our husbands receive favor from God when they find us? Pretty incredible.
Prov. 31:10-12 A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies. Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value. She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life. 17: She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks. 25-27: She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come. She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue. She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.
Don't get me wrong, it is an amazing thing to be a wife...to enjoy and share life with someone who loves and cares for you more than you could ever know. I take being a wife seriously and strive to be the best wife I can be…but know I can only achieve that with God’s help. I can’t do it all by myself. The burden isn’t meant for me to bear alone alone.
To my sweet husband, thank you for being such a wonderful and supportive teammate. I love being your wife!!! I don’t deserve you, and thank God for such an amazing gift. (and thank you for my pedicure and dinner out tonight…I’m refreshed already!!!)

Aww, Meg! We should all strive to be better wives, but sometimes our husbands have to understand we're not Superwoman!! I'm so glad you've found someone who will treat you to dinner and pedicures when you've had a bad day! (Plus, I'm sure you're harder on yourself, than JD is). Just remember, we all struggle with something.....hey, my house is NOT always tidy and the laundry isn't always caught up, but I do try and have a happy home and I've learned that that's what matters most! Love ya, girl!
ReplyDeleteSweet Girl! You are AWESOME! I guess I had skipped over a few of your last posts! (sorry) I completely understand the pressure to be perfect in all areas of life especially being a wife. :) It's hard being so perfect! Ha! Love you!
ReplyDelete